Solano Junior Strings
The Young Artists Conservatory Symphony Orchestra (YASCO) provides young musicians personal and artistic growth through challenging and inspiring rehearsals and performances in a professional environment, while enriching our community through music. Those string musicians who are not yet ready to participate in this YACSO but represent skill beyond an early academic level will be invited to participate in Solano Junior Strings (SJS)
Solano Junior Strings (SJS) has been developed to educate and advance the musical skills of youth throughout the Solano Community. Our goal is to revitalize an awareness and participation in excellent music education and the classic musical arts throughout our community.
By instilling the habits and disciplines of excellence, the program provides young musicians with two opportunities:
1. A bridge from academic or private training to more advanced symphonic applications.
2. The experience of learning and performing significant works that develops musicianship and the ability to perform in an ensemble.
As a program of Young Artists Conservatory of Music, SJS provides a “potential achieving” environment in ways that engage, challenge, and inspire its participants. We achieve this by offering training that accommodates the intermediate and advancing player by developing their technical, aural, and musical acuity. In doing so, SJS student players gain self-esteem, self-expression, discipline, and a sense of community and teamwork.
Participating in SJS, student players experience a powerful and enriching experience. It helps develop well-rounded students with impressive resume’s. Members learn from our talented music educators and conductors, gain exposure to music history, and theory, increase their skills in sectional rehearsals. They are provided the opportunity to perform in several concerts a year. Most importantly, student members experience the strength of a vital community expressed through grace and poise.
Solano Junior Strings is an audition based instrumental performance ensemble of Solano Music Conservatory, a division of Young Artists Conservatory of Music. Solano Junior Strings accepts youth who play violin, viola, cello, bass on the basis of audition. The average age of SJS members are 14 -17 years old. SJS may accept younger musicians on the basis of audition. Please contact the office to inquire about audition dates and times. www.yacmusic.org/sjs or 707-451-7200
2015-2016 Season / August 3 – June 30
1. SJS Rehearsals: Mondays 6:30pm – 8:00pm @ 500 Davis Street Vacaville CA.
a. Full Orchestra Rehearsal
b. Sectional Rehearsals will be offered as need during this time on discretion of the conductor.
2. Regular Concert Performances
a. January – date TBD
b. June – TBD
3. Additional Performance Opportunities. From time to time YACM will request SJS to perform at additional events. SJS members are expected to make every effort to participate.
4. Fundraising and Volunteers are needed to support the costs associated with SJS.
a. Students will gain an increased sense of ownership and accomplishment by participating in 2 annual fundraising events.
b. An SJS auxiliary is needed to help oversee volunteer needs associated with events, fundraising, and office support.
Enrolling in SJS
Returning Members Tuition: $600 up to 7/25/15 / Following 7/25 $660.00
1. Register online at www.yacmusic.org/sjs
2. Enroll in Solano Music Conservatory division and choose Solano Junior Strings
3. Pay the registration and capacity fee of $105.00
4. Elect to pay tuition in full, in 2 payments, 4 payments or 11 payments of $55.00
5. For those who wish to enroll in private lessons at YACM, a tuition credit will be provided in the amount of 10% to be applied to your SJS tuition (not registration and capacity fees).
Office will contact you to confirm your enrollment and schedule orientation.
A limited number of need based scholarships are available. Please contact the office directly for information on applying for a scholarship.
Youth Musicians Seeking Membership
1. Request an audition date and time at www.yacmusic.org/sjs
2 If you are accepted into SJS, you will be asked to register and enroll online.
3. For those who wish to enroll in private lessons at YACM, a tuition credit will be provided in the amount of 10% to be applied to your SJS tuition (not registration and capacity fees)
As this is a new program, we are excited to join with you to bring the youth orchestra to life. We know there will be challenges that will provide us with opportunities to grow together in support of bringing excellence into the lives of our youth through the diligence of Solano Junior Strings Community Youth Orchestra. We invite your partnership, ideas, and willingness to help.